Sunday 2 June 2013

Red and Black Week. Day 1. Too many books? Never!

Hurrah! It's Red and Black week again, thank you to Sophistique Noir for the wonderful theme! I've been putting together a post about my Red and Black bedroom at Dad's house for a while, so what better day to post it than at the start of Red & Black week!



My Red & Black Room

Red walls and black trims, it seems my bedroom at Dad's is perfect for the theme!
I have been waiting to post pictures of this room, but it never got totally finished so I kept putting it off. I can't use power tools (don't give this dyspraxic a drill, ever) so all the things I can't do myself remain undone (mostly having heavy pictures/mirrors, but also shelves). There are also a few things I never got round to finishing myself, as you will see. I'm going to do some more work on it, then bribe a DIY savvy friend or two into drilling some holes for me!

I've decided that over the next few weeks I'll post some pictures of what's finished and still to be done. Here's the first batch! The corner of the room by the door.


As you can see my large mirror is sitting on the floor underneath where it is meant to hang! The ceiling still has splodges of red on it too! I doubt I'll ever get time to re-paper and paint the ceiling though, so I may just have to paint over the splodges....



 I ran out of paint before I got to the main door. I've decided to paint when I get back from my fieldwork at Highgate.


I need frames for these posters, then I'll move them higher up the wall so there is room to hang my small gold framed mirror.

Any offers of help for this DIY dunce? Ill pay you in Absinthe!

Before I can do much serious work on the room though, I need to go through my stuff and organise it all (which will also make it easier when me and ash get our own house and I can finally move it all out of dad's =P).


Books, books and more books

Last week I had 3 days off because of the bank holiday, but I felt knackered, must have been all the traveling (Birmingham - York, York- Bristol, Bristol - Birmingham, in 3 days) and the extra hours I had to work to get time off for the conferences. So instead of going out, I spent a day being uber geeky and re-organising and cataloguing my books. I haven't finished yet, because I have so many, but this is most of the fiction dealt with!

This is the main bookcase, for my ridiculously extensive collection of Sci-Fi, Fantasy and kids books! There are a few classics in there too, honest!



I keep my poetry, folklore and culture books on the small bookcase by the bed. Because they are mostly rather lovely old editions.



There's another small bookcase under the desk and several bags of textbooks waiting for shelves as well... Do you think I have too many books? =P

I hope you have enjoyed this little tour. I'm off to read all of the other red and black week theme posts, and plan a blog giveaway (just reached 100 followers yay! =]).

20 comments:

  1. Your room looks very cosy, and tha red is not too aggressive. I guess you shall want to paint a wall or two red in the future apartment too? :)

    I do not think you have too many books, I think there is never enough of books! In your future home, you could have a little library room, so then nobody can say there are too many books. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my boyfriend helped me paint it and he really liked the red too so hopefully we will have red again =]

      I'm going to have a study I hope, but I'll call it the library because I've always dreamed of having one!

      Delete
  2. Wow - the red walls are awesome! I love what you've done with the room - it has so much character and says a lot about you. And the Dark Crystal poster is the best! ;)

    Thanks for sharing your personal space to kick off Red & Black Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks. I do love dark crystal. One of my friends juts brought me a necklace that matches the poster for my birthday!

      Delete
  3. There is no such thing as too many books - that's what I keep telling myself. I'm squinting very hard right now trying to read all the titles to see what I may have missed! :D

    The red splotches on the ceiling made me laugh. I always get some of the wall colour on the ceiling, touch up the ceiling and then get some of that colour on the wall. It's a vicious circle. :P

    I have the Mucha Zodiac, too - I love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that with all my friend's bookcases too! I wish there were more hours in the day for reading!

      Oh no, I'll have to mask the wall while I paint over the slodges on the ceiling then!

      The Mucha Zodiac is wonderful =] I need a frame for her really!

      Delete
  4. I love all your cool posters/pictures on your walls. Really makes them interesting and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't bear empty walls, I'm a little strange.

      Delete
  5. I heartily concur that one cannot have too many books. But one can have not enough room for all their books, which is why I caved and got an e-reader a few years ago.

    As for the textbooks, when I was in grad school, I took most of mine to my office. This gave me more room at home for more books! (Of course, in grad school, I couldn't afford them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to be able to get a e-reader but it feels like betraying my books =P. The physical prescense of books is so comforting.

      I don't have an office at Uni. I don't even have a desk. I had a locker for a while, but then I had to give it back. Oh well, at least while I'm still doing my PhD I don't have money for more books either, so I don't need another bookcase =P

      Delete
  6. Oooh! I would love to have red walls like that in my whole apartment! :) Unfortunately our landlord wouldn't allow us to have any other color than white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =[ that's why I hated renting too. I disliked not being able to paint and getting int rouble for rescuing cool furniture from skips because my landlady said ti was 'an eyesore!'

      Maybe you could hang red fabric over the white walls?

      Delete
  7. I once had a red bedroom (not walls)was a rental. I think red bedrooms are so romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to show your room in this theme. A good descision, i think. I have the same problem with storing books as well. My book shelves are always full. Red is a very cosy colour to have on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I am not the only one who has this problem =P I love all my books and find it so hard to part with some to make way for more!

      Delete
  9. Never ever too many books! Also I love the shade of red you have on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it is a great shade of red, although I panicked when I opened the tin because it is pink until it dries!!

      Delete
  10. Your room is so amazing! I am so jealous...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Don't be jealous, it's only paint =P I'm sure your room is cool too =]

      Delete